Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Work to mothering, a rant rose out of this.

Warning, you may hate me by he time you finnish this, but I had to get it off my chest.

Sometimes I really miss work. I miss seeing new faces every day. I miss Scott pestering me and Ryan's debates. I miss breathing down Scott's neck as I inspected his work and watching him get so good at his job that he now is probably better than I was. I miss sitting by the big window eating my lunch watching people in the parking lot and ranting at the Soccer Maniac below us. I miss working with Alicia cuz she giggled all the time and kept us all cheerful and Ann, she made yummy treats. I even miss that horribly annoying garbage bag sales rep who never seemed to know when to leave. I also miss the work, I really loved what I did, there were new challenges every day and that kept it interesting, even the days I had to solder over and over, I actually kinda miss them. I do have to say however I do not miss the dentists! I will leave it at that.



The days that were slow in the summer and we made jewelry rather than teeth were fun and lazy and we usually got to go home around noon. It there were a trophy for the best employer I would give it to Ryan in a heart beat, he was always sensitive to the little peoples (me) needs and he payed really well!!! He encouraged when the days were rough and praised when they were great, bought lunches just because and had BBQ's to show us he appreciated us. I could go on and on...did you know I made Dave's wedding band there? I did, and it is made with palladium dental grade alloy. So when he lost it those two times you can understand how we were freaking out!

Anyway as much as I miss work I wouldn't trade it for even a day. I have horrible days here and I long for simple times (like at the lab) but when it comes down to it this is where I am meant to be. This being a stay at home mommy for my two little weeds is my job now and even thought the pay is nonexistent and the hours are seriously crummy and coffee breaks don't ever happen, the rewards are priceless and more fulfilling than having a 10 unit bridge fit on the first try. Let me tell you that is impressive!! Knowing that I am responsible for the growth and nurturing of these wee ones is a huge and somewhat overwhelming thought, but this is the path we've chosen and I hope and pray that I can live up to my expectations as a mother and turn out decent children. Some days I think it would be so much easier to have gone back to work and put the kids in a daycare, actually I know that that is the easy way, except for the heart strings. For those moms who want to be home but have no choice but to work to keep alive my hat is off to you! For those of you moms who go back to work to support a life style, your kids well being is more important than money. Downsize and be there for your kids, you only have to take a few years off and next thing you know they will be in school and you can go back to work.

Those first few years are the most pivotal in your child's life and they are soaking everything up like a sponge. Either it is you who they learn from or a stranger. If you have family help with your child I would say it is the same as you doing it if they have the same values as you. But having a daycare raise your child when you could be there, you will miss so much and a daycare worker will be forming the character foundation for your child.
Don't miss the first few years, the most formative years with your child for cash. Be there instead! It is hard and you will wish you could take even one 15 minute break a day or buy those super hot chic shoes, but the 'pay' is so much better and hot shoes can wait!!!

Once again for those moms who have no choice but to work, I admire you and hope if I ever am in that situation I am strong enough to pull through. My heart would break but there must be food on the table at the end of the day.

OK my rant is done, if you made it this far and still like me you are a true friend. If you hate me I understand, I expected to make a few enemies. Anyway, these are just my opinions, please don't take offence, I still like all of you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh*
Not offended at all. Still wishing/hoping I can be home for good before she's 1 yr.

Anonymous said...

In case it wasn't obvious I completely agree with you.

~*This Mama*~ said...

Well, I didn't read it all...some little person over here wouldn't let me...but I'm a SAHM and I've been one for 7 years. Love it and I sure don't miss working. Of course, I never had what I would call a "real" job anyway. I have 4 (5th on the way in Oct.) kids and they are a full time job! It's one I enjoy, but not one I am always good at. =)

Be encouraged!

Anonymous said...

Wow, ramble on! There's no way I'm as good as you ever were. But I am getting better.


Scott.

prettyinpink said...

Your current job is definitely the most important job in the world. I think that Moms or Dads that can stay at home for those first few years have it made (eventhough I know you must just want to throw-up at the sound of Dora on the TV at some moments!) Keep on keepin' on, Anna! You are doing a fantastic job!

SAJ said...

Like my Aunt always says, "I never realized how selfish I was until I had kids." I struggle every day with this.

Anonymous said...

Hello Anna,
Despite how my children turned out, I still think being a Mom is the best job in the world. Only problems are that it is too short, and the training is on the job. (and your kids will pick up all your bad habits)
And I read the cutest saying:
A mother of middle aged children still watches them for signs of improvement. So true. And to prove how great a job it is.... what does anyone say when they get a few minutes on TV? Hi Mom!
On the flip side, not everyone who has kids is cut out to be a SAHM, and sometimes daycare is a good choice. Give the kids a hug for me.